Our Lady of Czestochowa Church, 57 Center Avenue

Dublin Core


Our Lady of Czestochowa Church, 57 Center Avenue


From their website:
Our Lady of Czestochowa Parish was established on May 1, 1901. Father Peter Lotocha was named Pastor and the first Mass was celebrated on May 3, 1903. The first church building was formerly a Presbyterian Church located on the site of the Grotto. This building was used as the church until the opening of the new school building on October 13, 1920. With the completion of the school, the former church building was used as the parish hall and the school basement (now our parish hall) was used for the church for 8 years. The current church building was opened on December 9, 1928. The former church building was raffled off in 1927 to help raise funds for the construction. Since its construction, the church has had many enhancements. Some of these include:
  • In 1947, stained glass, designed by Joseph Mazur, was added to the nave of the church.
  • The mural of The Coronation of the Blessed Mother was added in the early 1950’s in time for the 50th anniversary of the parish in 1953.
  • In 1966 the Grotto garden was added and dedicated to Our Lady of Czestochowa.
  • A new altar, a replica of the original one on the back altar, was dedicated in 1982.
  • The Shrine to Our Lady of Czestochowa was added in 1983.


Our Lady of Czestochowa, yearbook photos (1945).jpg

Our Lady of Czestochowa, yearbook cover (1945).jpg

Includes photos and a history of the Polish settlement in North Tonawanda.