DeGraff Memorial Hospital

Dublin Core


DeGraff Memorial Hospital


In 1913 business leaders in the Tonawandas including LeGrand S. DeGraff and NT Mayor Dr. John A. Rafter developed a plan to create a badly needed hospital. DeGraff funded the endeavor with a "very substantial contribution."

Architect W. O. Johnstone donated his work for the hospital. Ground was broken in April 14; dedication ceremonies took place May 30, 1914.

In 1930 an addition for a Nurses Home and Maternity Ward was made possible by a legacy grant from James S. Thompson. Another expansion was started in 1942 and completed in 1944.

In 1947, changes from a public institution to a non-profit, membership corporation.

March 14, 1953 a new addition and Maternity Wing are opened.