Other portions were set aside for use in schools (the North Tonawanda High School and Colonel Payne school).
The land for Payne Park and Memorial Pool is given in Edward Payne's 1938 will. A provision in the Payne Holding Corp. deed of June 14, 1938 states, "This, conveyance is made and taken upon condition that the land as above described shall be used and maintained as and for a public park to be known as Payne Park."
From Landmarks of Niagara County (1897): Col. Lewis S. Payne was born in the town of Riga, Monroe county, N. Y., January 21, 1819, the son of Stephen…
Where the cantilever bridge is today.
Wheatfield Street in foreground, looking north up Payne Ave.
Note Payne's Hill, seven avenues, Pettit Creek.