North Tonawanda Centennial Magazine, 1865-1965:From
A lazy little creek flowed into the river near the foot of what is now Wheatfield Street, just opposite the north end of Little Island. On its bank [in 1810] one of our earliest settlers built a log cabin and gave the stream its name. Even today old timers know where Pettit Creek was. It became the state ditch which was made into a storm drain and covered.Partially because residents filled Pettit Creek with tin cans and dead animals, it was covered up in 1925 and converted into a culvert. Soon afterward, Durez (later Occidental) began polluting the waterway properly, with carcinogens and gases that killed fish and exploded basements. In the mid-1980s New York State sued Occidental for its abuse, and several cleanup efforts were undertaken.
One of the earliest residents of present-day North Tonawanda. Lived near the Niagara River at present-day Wheatfield Street. Operated a public house?…